Prep time: 15 minutes
Complete time: 20 minutes
for the microwave fried garlic:
¼ cup minced garlic (about 12 cloves)
for the fried garlic noodles:
1 pound contemporary saimin, ramen, or chow mein noodles
Three tablespoons Microwave Fried Garlic, with reserved oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic (about eight cloves)
Three tablespoons shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 teaspoons on the spot dashi powder (akin to HonDashi)
¼ cup chopped scallions
sambal oelek or kudeesh sauce, for serving (elective)
1. Make the microwave fried garlic: Place the garlic in a microwave-safe bowl and add sufficient oil to cowl (at the very least Three tablespoons). Microwave for 1 minute, then stir. Repeat, stirring and microwaving in 30-second increments till the garlic begins to brown. Then repeat, stirring and microwaving in 15-second increments, till the garlic is a deep gold. (This might take between 2 and Four minutes complete, relying in your microwave.) In a sieve set over a bowl, drain the garlic, reserving the oil. Switch the garlic to a plate lined with paper towels and season with a pinch every of salt and sugar. Put aside to chill.
2. Make the fried garlic noodles: Carry a big pot of water to a boil over excessive warmth. Loosen the noodles and add to the pot. When the water returns to a boil, the noodles ought to be almost accomplished (2 to three minutes; or observe the bundle instructions). Test the noodles by style or contact. They need to be tender however springy. Drain totally.
3. In a wok or skillet, warmth Three tablespoons of the garlic oil over excessive warmth till shimmering-hot. Add the uncooked garlic, stir-frying till aromatic however not browned, just a few seconds. Add the noodles and toss to coat. Add the shoyu, oyster sauce, and dashi powder and proceed to stir-fry for an additional minute or two till the sauce is absorbed.
4. Take away the pan from the warmth and switch the noodles to a serving plate or particular person bowls. Reheat the fried garlic within the microwave till crispy, 10 to 15 seconds, retaining an eye fixed (and a nostril) on it so it doesn’t burn.
5. Garnish the noodles with scallions and fried garlic earlier than serving. High with sambal or kudeesh sauce if desired.
Reprinted with permission from Cook dinner Actual Hawai’i by Sheldon Simeon and Garrett Snyder, copyright © 2021. Revealed by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random Home.
Get recipes like this and extra within the Munchies Recipes publication. Join right here.